I just tried this Indian dish as my meal prep lunch for the week, and it is one of the most hearty and filling meal prep meals I’ve ever made. I served it over tumeric rice and added broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, and peas.
My tips and suggestions
- Use a mix of whole and split lentils or all whole lentils. It will give the dish more texture.
- Cilantro and scallions are perfect toppings.
- Add your favorite frozen veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, and peas, to make the meal more colorful and nutritious.
What you’ll need + recommendations
- 3 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- One 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- Using dried ginger also works. Try adding 1 tablespoon to start and add more to taste.
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 3 green cardamom pods
- I skipped this as I didn’t have any on hand.
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons each: cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onion seeds (nigella), fenugreek seeds
- You can easily skip this step of the recipe and just put dry powdered ingredients in the crock pot.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Unnecessary unless you have them on hand.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Get the recipe
You’ll find this delicious recipe and many more at Cafe Johnsonia.